Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Secret Garden



I have a small, hidden garden behind a tall row of virburnum, abelia, and holly bushes. To enter the area you must cross over a plush expanse of well-manicured lawn through a narrow opening. A few flat stepping stones mark the trail in. An angel points the way. During the winter this quiet little space lies fallow, covered with leafy debris and bits of twigs. A few determined ferns assert their brown and broken tips through the litter. The trail is difficult to follow. It’s easy to stumble over the sleeping tree roots and loosely scattered rocks all resting quietly, waiting for the spring that is sure to come. A small breeze ruffles the few leaves left in the trees. It is a perfect place to listen for God.

Welcome to my new blog. I hope you will visit often.
Ellen Bateman Bulterman

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! It is so beautiful! Your garden is such a peaceful place. When you step onto the angel's path you step into serenity! Job well done! I am soooo excited and proud of you and I cannot wait for the stories to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charming! I feel like I can just look out the window and see your secret garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and enticing! Thinking about it brings a smile to my face and a moment of calm much needed. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete