Friday, July 9, 2010

"It Has Awoken"

Today I moved into the 21st century… not because I wanted to, but because H refuses to allow me to stay in the Dark Ages. Unlike me, the Prince makes a point of keeping up with technology… in fact, he THRIVES on it. I do my best to take it all in and respond to his enthusiasm with inquisitive and intelligent questions, but I usually find it confusing, complicated, and often a bit daunting. Trying to understand not only the new and improved, but also the potential and possibilities, is a challenge for me.

Consider the cell phone. I have a dinosaur of a unit – massive enough to break a toe if it fell on your foot, yet sturdy enough to survive any impact. I love this phone. It’s the first one I ever owned and I’m quite comfortable with its technology. It was a gift from H seven years ago. Pretty fancy in its heyday, it’s now so outdated that the battery is no longer available. I have babied and coddled it trying to extend its life, anything to keep old faithful operational, but it needs recharging more and more often. I fear its days are numbered.

I have come to learn that H is a very patient man. He has coolly waited, biding his time ever so quietly, until one day my battery began to sputter its last breath. As luck would have it, Apple’s new iPhone began shipping the same week. And H shouted to the heavens (in his head, of course) “Hallelujah! Amen!” He knew he had me, my dinosaur now extinct.

So, this week I dutifully handed over my little relic and followed H to the AT&T store where he purchased the newest iPhone 4 (fully gadgeted) and kindly upgraded me to his older iPhone 3GS. When the customer service technician activated H’s new device, it gurgled a small ring sound and I heard H whisper, “It has awoken.” Bliss.

Yes? What? What’s that? Oh NO! Drat! Gotta Go, dear readers! My new phone is making a sound – I think it’s ringing – and once I find it, I’m not sure how to answer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment