Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August Doldrums



As I sit on our back porch I find myself thinking about the month of August. I can’t say that it’s a favorite of mine. The weather is hot and humid, the air stale and oppressive. The brightness of the spring and early summer is no longer there and the colors appear dull. It feels like a tired month to me.

The plants in the secret garden are struggling and I don’t have the energy to lug buckets of water out to them. I can’t imagine intentionally planning a big outdoor event, like a wedding, or going to a ballgame. Even the idea of going to the beach doesn’t appeal to me.

And yet all whining aside, those very qualities that I complain of bring about an introspective and inward stillness. Not quite ready to give up the summer, August soothes us into the fall. Colors subtly shift to an unassuming shade of their former selves. A few leaves start to drift discreetly to the ground. The summer sounds seem to intensify, especially the background drone of the evening bugs. It’s easy to get lulled into a hazy quietness. August can be very contemplative. And really, this soulful side of August is simply a prelude of wondrous changes to come.

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly said! August is my very LEAST favorite time of the year. I feel slow, tired and drained of all energy. I always think if I can just make it through 31 days, then I am homefree! It's like I'm in the final countdown for a life changing event...Fall's glorious season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we are on the other side and we were right! Even here in the coastal south, overnight temps this weekend predicted in the 60s. College football starts tonight. We made it through. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete