Friday, January 28, 2011

Sick? Who's Sick?



My mother-in-law lives with H and me, and I love her dearly, but she can be a very stubborn woman, especially when it comes to seeing a doctor. At ninety years old, she remains pretty spry and is definitely “with it” – she doesn’t miss a trick. But when it comes to her health, she holds to the belief that a Bayer aspirin will cure anything and everything – just give it time.

She’s been feeling a little puny this week. It started off with a sore throat and steadily progressed to one of those deep-chest baritone coughs. Still, she ignores our pleas to let us take her to the local Urgent Care facility. Finally, today she succumbed, but not without a few choice comments and observations:

         I don’t know why I’m going!
         (cough… cough… cough)

         I can’t taste or smell anything, so I’m eating and drinking all 
         the things I don’t like. There’s no sense wasting food.

         Aren’t those the most awful flowers you’ve ever seen!
         (I explained to her that they weren’t real, but were silk flowers
         attached to pens so they wouldn’t “walk.”)

        I’m only here because THEY made me come!
        (Speaking to the doctor and pointing at H and me.)

        I would just like some antibiotics and some penicillin. I don’t
        need anything else.
        (She’s a real schmoozer once in the doctor’s office.)

They gave her the antibiotics, and she’s now on the road to recovery – we hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment